SAMREF is an equally owned joint venture between Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) and Mobil Yanbu refining Company Inc. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Exxon Mobil Corporation).
Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) is the worlds largest oil producing and exporting company and was established by Royal Decree in 1988 to assume the responsibilities of its predecessor, Aramco that has a history dating back more than 70 years.
SAMREF is one of the leading refineries in the middle East, processin more than 400,000 barrels per day of Arabian Light crude oil. Samref produces a full range of products including Propane and many grades of Automotive diesel oil (ADO), two grades of Marine heavy fuel oil (MHFO) and Sulfur.
- Monthly Records in Crude, Vacuum, FCC and NHT throughput and product shipping.
- Annual records in Crude, Vacuum, FCC, Reformer, nC4 Isomerization, NHT, Steam production and product shipping.
- Completed 2014 with Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) = 0.02, 2nd best ever record (2004 = 0.0)
- 2015 Year-To-Date (YTD) TRIR=0.0
- Successful & flawless Start up of the Clean Fuel Project (CFP).
- Remarkable achievement for refinery contractors:
- Completing 5 years without Lost Time Injury "LTI".
- More than 52 M safe man-hours since 2010 up to date.
Developing several projects as following:
- A capital project to debottleneck FCC lights ends handling and Alkylation. This includes implementing Split Olefin Feed Technology in the HF Alkylation Unit, increasing LPG production and gas handling in the FCC and gas plant and increasing LPG treating capacity.
- FCC Sea Water Scrubber project to remove SOx from FCC flue gases. The project will use the sea cooling water to convert SOx to sulfates before returning the sea water to the Royal Commission for discharge to the sea. Samref commissioned an Environmental Impact Assessment which was approved by the Royal Commission prior to committing to this project.
- Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel project to allow SAMREF to produce 500 ppm sulfur automotive diesel fuels.
- Project on behalf of Saudi Aramco to increase sulfur shipping capabilities to handle sulfur produced at the local Saudi Aramco refinery. This is an example of synergy opportunities with local industry.
- DCS and Ship Loading System upgrades to increase reliability and maintain state of the art control in refinery operations and shipping.
- HF acid leak mitigation project to ensure the safety of the local community and plant personnel should an acid leak occur.
- Effluent fluoride water mitigation project to remove fluorides from effluent water so it can be used for irrigation. This is another example of SAMREF working with local industries and the Royal Commission to maximize the use of resources. Water may be taken for granted in some places, but in Saudi Arabia, potable water is produced by desalinating sea water and water conservation is a top priority.
- Participating in the Solomon Survey for the third consecutive time.
- SAMREF employees have presented papers and participated in many conferences around the world.
SAMREF serves the healthcare requirements of around 4,500 company employees and their eligible dependents through its Medical Services Department
Environmental Stewarship - SAMREF Protecting Earth’s natural resources is as important to SAMREF as providing the refined products so essential to improving our quality of life. our goal is to be recognized and respected everywhere for having a record of environmental excellence. SAMREF’s values, business strategies and field operations reflect the highest possible environmental standards.